Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A good fence makes for a good neighbor

The interaction with our neighbor as of late, has not been what you might call neighborly. A few months ago we got a letter in the mail from our neighbor. Yes, our next door neighbor. He and his wife moved here from California two years ago. We welcomed them to the neighborhood when they moved in, not knowing that they would become the biggest pain the a** the world would ever know! So, this letter last fall tells us that they want us to trim our tree (our 75 foot cottonwood tree that is older than both of us) straight up the property line to keep him from getting leaves in his yard. Excuse me, we live on the north side of you. Here in Colorado, we have a north prevailing wind that will blow the other 50 million leaves into your yard regardless of shape of the limbs at the top. We tried to ignore it, thinking we should be able to do with our tree as we see fit, until one day....I come home to find all the leaves from his yard raked and placed in the street in front of our driveway! And then proceeds to tell us that the leaves came out of our tree so they are our responsibility. (If you dislike leaves that much, go back to California where they don't have seasons) Yes, I think his cheese has slid off his cracker!
Obviously, he was not going to back off this, so we reluctantly hired a tree trimming service to come and trim the tree to make it look good, not just straight up the side of the tree. Thought that might appease the man, but I think we were giving him too much credit.
Since he did not get his way, he has decided to increase the severity of the pain he is causing. Come home from work one day to find a fence being built in the middle of our houses to separate the houses. Now, I'm all for not having to look at this guy any more than I have to. So, fence = great idea. Placement of the fence = bad. He has decided to just throw up a fence where ever he thinks the property line ought to be! (I think the cheese has slid under the fridge and has started to mold!)
We have hired a survey crew to verify the property line and he has to move the fence over to his side of the line. Again, the man is not happy. He has decided to go after us for the shed in our back yard not abiding by city code. What he doesn't realize is that I am like a little bull terrier. Not going to back down until I have exhausted all possibilities to keep my life as basic as I can. Moving a shed across the yard? Not really a high priority list item. The city is looking into the possibility of a variance for the shed for us.
Will let you know the status of the shed and the neighbor's cheese....maybe it will spontaneously combust here soon! (Wait, I'm not that lucky!)

1 comment:

  1. Ugh...that's so frustrating! Like Jake told Jeremy, if you need help moving the shed let us know!
    If you just need a get-away, you are more than welcome to come up and have a margarita with me. (Trust me I can use one too these days) Plus, I have a ton of mix from my party getting cancelled and it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to consume it by myself.
    Or if a beat down is required, Kenzie is good at those! haha :)

    ReplyDelete